Monday 17 July 2017

How the Light Gets In

How The Light Gets In by Louise Penny

When I have been browsing in charity book shops I have occasionally seen books written by Louise Penny.  I have allowed my eyes to slide past these books and their titles.  I have to be utterly honest and say that the format of the paperbacks has not sold itself to me in terms of being a novel worth my reading time.  How judgemental, how misguided.

My reading neighbours in St Vaast handed me this book, it being a second copy for which they did not have any use.  Never being one to look a gift horse in the mouth I decided to give it a go.  At least I reasoned as I looked at the dust jacket, it looks as if it is a detective novel.

When I google I am amazed to see that 12 other Inspector Gamache novels have slipped me by.  True to form I will now go and start with the first in the series, Still Life.


There is something about Penny's plotting that goes beyond the run of the mill necessity to provide an arena in which the detective/criminal scenario can be played out.  A suite of credible characters and a plot based on the lore around a famous set of Canadian quintuplets, born before the days of test tube fertility treatment are brought together to give a narrative of substance.  I really enjoyed this read:

A DETECTIVE
As a fierce, unrelenting winter grips Quebec, shadows are closing in on Chief Inspector Armand Gamache. Most of his best agents have left the Homicide Department and hostile forces are lining up against him.
A DISAPPEARANCE
When Gamache receives a message about a mysterious case in Three Pines, he is compelled to investigate -- a woman who was once one of the most famous people in the world has vanished.
A DEADLY CONCLUSION
As he begins to shed light on the investigation, he is drawn into a web of murder, lies and unimaginable corruption at the heart of the city. Facing his most challenging, and personal, case to date, can Gamache save the reputation of the Sûreté, those he holds dear and himself?

No comments:

Post a Comment