Tuesday 9 February 2016

Driving Over Lemons



I read this book for my village Book Group January choice.  There is no doubt that Chris Stewart writes very well.  He has great powers of description and I was able to visualise much of the landscape and setting of the derelict farm that he bought, probably in the '70s.  His prose flowed really well although sometimes I felt he was a bit pretentious in his turns of phrase… why refer to someone’s organs of perception when the use of the word 'eyes' would serve very well?  But that’s a quibble and maybe I picked up on that because by that stage in the book I was feeling really irritated with this man.  
OK, he made an error of judgement with Pedro, buying the farm at a so-called bargain price, allowing him to continue to perch in the house even when Ana arrived to join her husband.  He seemed to be reluctant to allow Pedro to return to town life.  How could he imagine his wife would enjoy having a rather ignorant local under their roof?  He seemed very phlegmatic when he discovered Pedro had been loud-mouthing him all about town.  Then you had Arsenio, not a bad name, for a man who steadfastly refused to understand anything Stewart said in Spanish.  And talking of names I thought the self-fulfilling name that the so-called terminally ill woman called Expira had, was amusing.  Only in Domingo did you meet a character who seemed to have integrity, loyalty and respect for his neighbour.  It didn’t paint a particularly good picture of Andalucians.  There was little mention of the good qualities they might have as a people.  Their purpose in life seemed to be to pull one over on foreigners brave enough to venture onto their territory.  Then you had the series of events in which Stewart came out the worse for the experience.  His forays into the keeping of poultry, the selling of lambs, the acquisition of dogs who might have actually brought something positive to the farmstead.  I found it hard to credit that someone could continue to fail to learn, and take pleasure in giving the reader chapter and verse  on his failures.  He painted a picture of a rather gullible and hapless character to whom life’s vicissitudes and misfortunes just happen.  I did not think the description of the pig slaughter sat very comfortably in the book, I struggled with the savaging of the sheep, feeling this might have been avoidable.  Stewart couldn’t even point a wall without realising that no amount of cement will fix a wobbly one.
In writing this review I do recognise that I have had a complete failure of sense of humour.  But I don’t think that is all my fault.  It is partly the job of the author to engage his reader.  He had a book in him and it was up to him to sell it to the reading public.  I think if I had understood Stewart’s remit - to give the reader laughs at his expense - I would have approached the book differently.  As it is I see that the author has made a career out of his role as a sometimes misguided optimist (I noticed he had had a spell as a clown in a circus so the clues were there early on) and he is the author of further travel memoirs notably Three Ways to Capsize a Boat described as a charming and lyrical read, awash with the joy of discovery, from an immensely likeable narrator. People like Stewart will certainly keep the RNLI on their toes. Don't put me down for that sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment